Wallasey Housing
Disrepair Solicitors

What is Housing Disrepair?

A rented property might be in disrepair when there is a serious issue. Your landlord has a legal obligation to repair the property. Housing disrepair usually relates to severe defects that keep you from enjoying the property or can even endanger your health. You may file a housing disrepair claim if your landlord failed to act after you reported the issue to them. First, you should immediately contact a housing disrepair solicitor to explore your legal options.

What Are the Common Types of Housing Disrepair in Wallasey?

Housing disrepair can affect numerous areas of the premises. Here are some typical examples of housing disrepair:

  • Water leaks, causing dampness to the walls and floors.
  • Defective windows that caused water penetration in the bedroom.
  • Defective central heating that did not allow the occupant to use hot water and heat their home at the same time.
  • Damp and mould growth.
  • Mouse infestation.

While leaks and water damage account for many cases, housing disrepair can affect several aspects of the home.

What Are My Rights as a Tenant When it Comes to Housing Disrepair?

Housing disrepair is covered by the Defective Premises Act 1972. The basic obligation under the law is that the landlord cannot allow any part of the premises for which they are responsible to fall into disrepair.

If your landlord has failed to adhere to their legal obligations, you may be able to file a claim. You may be able to recover financial damages and force your landlord to make the necessary repairs.

How Can I Report Housing Disrepair to My Landlord in Wallasey?

You can report housing disrepair to your landlord in Wallasey in the following ways:

  • In-person
  • Over the phone
  • By written letter
  • Sending an email

No matter how you reported the issue, you should create some record that shows how and when you reported the housing disrepair.

What Are the Responsibilities of My Landlord?

Here are vital areas that your landlord must address:

  • Dampness
  • Mould
  • Pest and insect infestations
  • Broken windows and doors
  • Leaking water (whether it is from the roof or pipes)
  • Broken heating systems
  • Problems with gas pipes or electrical wiring
  • Damage to the walls
  • Structural problems, including damaged gutters, drains, and pipes
  • Sanitary and sewage issues

What Can I Do if My Landlord Refuses to Carry Out Repairs in Wallasey?

Generally, you should try to exhaust all other resources before you attempt to sue the landlord. You can take legal action if your landlord refuses to carry out your repairs. You can file a claim with the council if you live in a council housing association. If you have a private landlord, you may need to sue them in court. The landlord must defend themselves from charges of failing to make the necessary repairs.

Contact Our Wallasey Housing Disrepair Solicitors at Bingham Long Today

Our Wallasey housing disrepair solicitors at Bingham Long can help you fight back if you have been harmed by housing disrepair. Call 0151 453 2525 or complete our online form to schedule a free consultation today. Located in Liverpool, Wallasey, and Birkenhead, we serve clients throughout Merseyside County.


Explore our FAQ’s to learn more, please use the form below to get in touch!


If you claim financial compensation, your case could take up to a year, although some may settle before then.

You have six years to take court action from when the landlord should have performed the repairs.

You need to take photos and videos of the actual disrepair. Try to ensure that they are time-stamped. You must also prove that you notified the landlord of the repair issue.

want to
talk with us?

Leave your details and one of our experts will contact you!